Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A shed of one's own

"A woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction." —Virginia Woolf, A Room of One's Own, 1929

I love when authors and aspiring authors post photos of their writing spaces. There's just something fascinating about seeing the places where other people do the same thing I do every day.

I've been wanting to do a "writing space" post for a while now, but until we moved into our bungalow last January, Big Chimp and I were living with his parents. It was a comfortable enough set-up, but my writing space was limited to a corner of the bed in our bedroom. However, after the move, I found myself lucky enough to have an entire room dedicated to writing:

 Behold! The Writing Room! Complete with computers and vintage typewriters.

Problem is, the writing room has north-facing windows, so not so good for sunshine. And being from Southern California, I'm sort of solar-powered, so I generally prefer this corner of our living room for writing and blogging (I'm actually sitting there now):

 Also, I have to put my feet up while writing. Have to!

But our little house has a third writing nook I like to use, especially now that it's summer and it's finally warmed up enough to venture outside:

 It's tucked away in the back corner of our garden...

 Behold! The Writing Shed!


The perfect get-away for the reclusive writer, the Writing Shed has everything an aspiring author could want: a chair, a table, electrical hook-ups, a view of the great British outdoors, and a faint trace of a wireless signal to enable Internet distractions research. There's even, in case of emergency, an outdoor toilet built into the side of the house, conveniently located just across the lawn.

 How does this self-timer work?

There we go! You can't see it, but my coffee cup says "Worlds Best Plumber." No apostrophe, because clearly the world's best plumber doesn't need apostrophes.

So, what about you, blog-reader? Writers, do you have a special nook where you like to spin your yarns? Readers, do you have a favorite corner into which you love to retreat with a good book? Feel free to link to photos in the comments.

4 comments:

  1. Love the pictures, especially the outside shed. What a wonderful place to write. I have a space (it's called an office but it's really an enlarged hallway) that I share with my husband. It works, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! We really lucked out that the house we're renting came with a shed that's so perfect for writing. Big Chimp and I share our writing room too, but usually he gets it to himself because I find the couch so much more comfortable :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm desperately in love with your writing shed. :3

    I have a big, beautiful corner desk that I supposedly write at. Instead I usually end up in my bed with the cat. Though last week I was outside in a chaise lawn chair, which was a nice change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First off, I LOVE the garden.
    I don't have a preferred writing place at the moment, but when I'm blogging or commenting, I ONLY use my Xoom (Android Tablet). For some reason I think it gives me free feeling that I get when connecting to the limitless people in my PLN.

    I've been dreaming of being able to allow my students to personalize their work spaces in my classroom. However, the problem is that they are shared. Any thoughts on that? How can I make them feel comfortable in a place that doesn't really belong to them?

    ReplyDelete