Thursday, March 4, 2010

Happy World Book Day UK!

I logged into Twitter today to discover that it's World Book Day today here in the UK and in Ireland. According to the website, 


World Book Day was designated by UNESCO as a worldwide celebration of books and reading, and is marked in over 100 countries around the globe... World Book Day is a partnership of publishers, booksellers and interested parties who work together to promote books and reading for the personal enrichment and enjoyment of all. 


What an awesome idea!


So in the spirit of the holiday, what are you reading right now? What great books have you read recently, and what are your favorite ever books? 


I'll go first. I'm currently reading Otherland: City of Golden Shadow by Tad Williams, White Teeth by Zadie Smith, and Grimoires: A History of Magic Books by Owen Davies. 


I recently read The Road by Cormac McCarthy, which I really enjoyed in a bleak, depressing sort of way.


And my favorite ever books are the Harry Potter series (my best friend was shocked when I told her this. She shouted "But you're an English major!" But I can't lie. I love Harry Potter and the books are amazing.) I also love Stephen Chbosky's The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams, Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, and A Separate Peace by John Knowles. 

2 comments:

  1. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens is magical every time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marley was dead, to begin with... :)

    ReplyDelete