Wednesday, November 24, 2010

My MFA Experience, Part 1: Choosing a Program

The year I graduated from college, I decided that I wanted to get an MFA in creative writing . I knew that I wanted to go to grad school, and after debating between an MA in English literature and an MFA in creative writing, I chose the latter because I knew that what I really wanted to be was a writer. It was a difficult choice, because it is a lot of time, money, and effort to spend on a degree that won't help you much with finding a job or bettering your financial situation. But I was committed enough to the idea of being a writer that I knew that studying the craft further was something I wanted to do. I also worried (perhaps unnecessarily) that if I jumped straight into the working world after graduating from college, I might never get around to doing an MFA.

I had a hard time getting information about which programs to apply for. My professors generally recommended the Iowa Writers' Workshop, which is considered the best creative writing MFA program in the United States. They also recommended UC Irvine and the University of Virginia. But when it came to British universities, all I got were blank stares. So I ended up doing a lot of research online. I wasn't confident enough to apply for the best programs (though I did apply for a couple as "reach" schools), but I didn't want to be right at the bottom either.

Based on this experience, I've come up with a list of things to consider when choosing an MFA:

1) Money: How much can you afford to spend? What kind of financial aid will you realistically be able to get? Does the university offer scholarships or teaching assistantships?  How much student loan debt are you comfortable with getting yourself into?

2) The program itself: Look at the courses on offer for each program you are considering. Do they meet your requirements as a writer? If you're unsure, consider what you want to get out of the program. Some offer more practical courses on the publishing industry in addition to workshops and masterclasses. My program offered a day when we could all meet individually with either a literary agent or a publisher for feedback on our work. This was a huge factor in me choosing my univerisity. My program also had authorship theory classes, which focused on literary theory and the philosophies surrounding fiction. Some programs combine creative writing with critical writing, or with another related subject. Take your time in considering which kind of program would best suit your needs.

3) Location: Is the location of the university right for you? Would you be happy in a tiny town? A bustling metrpolis? Would you be bored/lonely/intimidated/overly distracted in the location you are considering? Is it near enough to your family and friends (or far enough away)? Being comfortable and happy in your new home can make a huge difference in your ability to work, which is what you've put all that effort into being able to do in the first place!

I ended up applying to several schools in the US and several in the UK. Many of the US schools rejected me. Looking back, this was because a) my portfolio at the time wasn't strong enough (I was great at characterization, but pretty clueless about plot and structure) and b) the competition is a LOT fiercer in the US, not just for MFAs but for graduate school in general.

In the end I decided to study in Brighton, England. In the UK, a master's degree generally lasts one year instead of two, so even though it is more expensive to study abroad, it being only half the time makes the cost actually a bit less:

Total international tuition for an MFA at a British university: $15-20K
Total tuition for an MFA at an American public university (in-state): $18-25K
Total tuition for an MFA at an American public university (out-of-state): $30-48K*

However, this doesn't take into account the fact that financial aid may be easier to acquire in the US (at least for US citizens), nor the fact that US universities tend to offer teaching assistantships, which can be a lot of help financially. Also, it doesn't factor in living expenses, which can make a huge difference in the overall cost of a program.

But the real reason I chose to study in the UK was pretty simple: I wanted an adventure. I had spent a year abroad in the UK during my junior year of college, and I had loved it. I wanted to return and continue to explore the UK and the rest of Europe while working on developing my writing skills. I had also heard and read a lot about Brighton, my chosen city, and I felt pretty confident that it was somewhere I would enjoy living.

With that in mind, I signed all the paperwork, sent off my housing deposit, and, nervous and excited, I boarded a plane one day in September with my laptop and my stuffed elephant in tow.

Next time: My MFA Experience, Part 2: Reality Check

*These costs are averages for a few different universities I looked into. Tuition fees can vary depending on the university and location, and may well fall outside these ranges.

5 comments:

  1. Hello Jessie,

    I would like to know if you would be able to explain briefly any recommendations for those who would like to pursue a master program. For instance, I was recently accepted into the Master of Arts in History at National University, and fortunately it’s an eleventh month program, but I would like to know is there additional resources I should pursue like get involved in my area of specialization? Submit writing samples to future employers? Do you have any regrets? Did you fulfill your obligations when you completed your master’s? What did you take from you experience?

    With Confidence,
    Javier Serrano

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That was quite an adventure in choosing skills. I have yet to start my masters, but my choice of schools is infinitely less important. My masters will just get me a pay increase. I'm sure that in your next post you will be explaining more of the trials and tribulations that you had to go through. I really admire you for choosing a path and seeing it through to the end.

    Oh, and I'm planning on getting my masters in Educational Technology. Not quite the Mickey Mouse program it may seem to be (not that I believe you assumed that). But, like your MFA, that's the passion I have developed in my career.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Javier, those are great questions. One recommendation I would give is to find an internship that's related to your field of study. I wish I had done more internships when I was a student. Practical experience is so important! Get as much as you can. And if you get a chance to write papers for publication, do it! Also, have a clear idea of what you want to specialize in/write your thesis on before you start. That way you will know what you're working toward and the whole year will go more smoothly.

    I did fulfil the requirements for my MFA, and my only regret is that I didn't pursue more practical experience before graduation, as I really struggled to find a decent job afterward (though graduating into a recession didn't help either).

    Good luck with your program!

    @Jeff: Thanks :). Educational Technology sounds like the perfect program for you! And very relevant to the times in which we live. Will you be blogging about the experience?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jessie,

    Thank you very much for the suggestions, recommendations and your personal account. It is refreshing to read someone else’s personal account through this unforgettable, yet exhausting journey.

    Would you one day write a memoir about your experiences in Briton? For instance, Elizabeth Gilbert’s Eat, Pray, Love focused on spiritual happiness, soul searching, individuality, I would suggest a memoir that would target younger audience. I always wanted to travel abroad during my undergraduate, but of course, I lacked the financial aspect of it. If you wrote such a memoir or a story, I know individuals like myself would become inspired by such a journey.

    PS. You must watch the film France’s “L'Auberge Espagnole” (“The Spanish Apartment). It is about a French graduate student who travels abroad to Barcelona, Spain where he encounters and learns from a group of students from Western Europe.

    With Confidence,
    Javier Serrano

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Javier,

    I'm glad you found the post helpful! I was hoping to provide some perspective for people who are considering doing an MA, particularly in a creative field.

    I have considered writing a memoir before, but I haven't thought about it much lately since I've been focusing on my novel. I guess we'll see how it goes.

    I absolutely LOVED the book Eat, Pray, Love; especially the first two sections. I think Elizabeth Gilbert had a lot of important things to say, and the book made me think a lot about self awareness and happiness.

    I was extremely lucky that my American university had an excellent study abroad program, and they were actually able to give me extra financial aid when I did my junior year abroad in England, which made it possible for me to go. I wish all universities had such good study abroad programs; it would be great if every student had the opportunity to study in another country.

    Also, thanks fot he film suggestion, that movie sounds great! :)

    ReplyDelete