Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Pancakes, X chromosomes, and the reading revolution

Lots of Days have been happening recently: World Book Day last Thursday, March 3; World Book Night (okay, it's a Night and not a Day, but it's the same basic principle) Saturday, March 5; Pancake Day and International Women's Day yesterday, March 8. That's a lot of celebrating to do!

Okay so, while I didn't actually make any pancakes or attend any rallies for women's causes (though I would totally be down for both of these activities if I were a little more organized), I did participate—albeit somewhat tangentiallyin the first ever World Book Night!

World Book Night is an event here in the UK in which one million books are given away by volunteer "givers." Twenty-five titles are chosen beforehand, and 40,000 copies of each title are printed in a special World Book Day edition. Then 20,000 givers are each supplied with 48 copies of their chosen title to distribute as they choose, beginning on World Book Night.

This Monday when I arrived at the college library where I work, I found out that the college was giving away copies of several of the World Book Night titles, which is how I got my hands on this wonderful book:





Notice some of the other amazing titles on the list: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, Love in the Time of Cholera, Life of Pi, Beloved, Half of a Yellow Sun, Northern Lights... all books I would love to read or reread.

I find it so reassuring and inspiring that even in these Difficult Times people can still find the time and the resources to support literacy and the arts in such a huge way.

Audience participation! If you could be a giver on the next World Book Night, and you could choose any one title to give away, what would it be and why?

(UK and Ireland residents, register here!)

2 comments:

  1. "If you could be a giver on the next World Book Night, and you could choose any one title to give away, what would it be and why?"

    Well, I'd have to say, "The Morgaine Saga" by C. J. Cherryh.

    It's an omnibus edition of three of her novels (counting as one book :-).

    Why?

    * It's a Good Read
    * It has a wonderfully strong female protagonist
    * It has a wonderfully submissive (though equally strong) male protagonist
    * It perfectly blends naturalistic-fantasy with shining threads of Sci-Fi (though some readers might miss the Sci-Fi and consider the whole fantasy)
    * More people should read C. J. Cherryh :-) Whoot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, cool! I've checked out CJ Cherryh online and added her to my reading list. I love a good fantasy series :)

    I would probably give The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky or something by Tad Williams.

    The Perks of Being a Wallflower deals with some really important issues--gender, sexuality, shyness, drugs, friendship, love--and I think it does so in really smart, subtle ways. I think this book is so important that I gave a copy to my little brother when he turned 15. No idea if he actually read it. I hope he did.

    Tad Williams is just an amazing author who creates incredible worlds. I've raved about his Otherland series for years, and Tailchaser's Song is such an amazing book that I'm surprised it's not more well known.

    ReplyDelete