Friday, October 21, 2011

Writing other things

Recently I started writing short stories again, after not having written one in a couple of years. I had been focusing on my novel for so long that I started to miss that feeling of having finished something. It's also is a good release-valve, allowing me to take a break from the novel when I'm getting frustrated, and blow off some creative steam. I've written a rather dark, depressing magical realism piece, and I've got some ideas for children's stories building up. It feels good to see finished things piling up in my short stories folder, and if I can improve my craft (I've never felt that I've really mastered the short story form), I may end up with some pieces that I can submit to literary magazines and competitions.

So, this makes me curious. Do you other aspiring novelists have side-projects that you work on? Do you short story writers have secret novels hidden away on your hard drives? Do you submit work to magazines and competitions, and, if so, to which publications do you submit? Feel free to post links in the comments to your published work!

No comments:

Post a Comment