Monday, July 2, 2012

WIP 2: It's done!

Well, as of June 28th the first draft of Dyllan and Abigail is done!

To steal an idea from Sarah at Squidink, here is a word cloud representing a big chunk of my draft (it was too long to copy/paste the whole thing):


Apparently my characters look at stuff a lot?

Anyway, here are some statistics:

Genre: Young adult fantasy novel
Start date: November 1st, 2011
Time worked on: 7 months, 28 days
Word count: 120,556
Pages (printed): 899

I am so in love with this story right now. Yes, the draft is a bit all over the place, but it's also much cleaner and much more focused than the first draft of Water Magic was.  I'm putting it away for at least six weeks now, but I'm already excited for the drafting phase.

Now the question is: should I go back to drafting Water Magic, or write something new? I feel a dragon-centric novel begging to be channeled, and two or three children's stories that I put aside a while ago that want to be written.

Blog readers: what writing or reading milestones have you conquered lately, or what goals are you working toward? Let me know in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations again! :D I love looking at other people's word clouds . . . it's a great way to see part of the story without, you know, actually reading it. Also, I feel better when I see other people using the same words I do a lot (ie: eyes).

    I . . . haven't conquered any reading or writing milestones lately. Though, if anything, I'm working towards finding an editing process that isn't so horrifically lacking in efficiency. >_>

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks! :) I find word clouds oddly fascinating too. I seriously need to work on putting across emotion/people looking at stuff without using the word "eyes," haha.

    And editing is hard! I'm sort of dreading the editing process as much as I'm sort of looking forward to it...but if I stumble across a magical pain-free editing process, you'll be the first to know :P

    ReplyDelete