Friday, December 31, 2010

My MFA Experience, Part 4: The Wrap-Up

A quick summary of my year studying for an MFA in England:

Pros:
I had a year to focus on writing.
I had a great time living in another country.
I made lots of amazing friends from all over the world.
I met my fiance.
I started to seriously think of myself as a writer.

Cons:
High tuition fees and the resulting student loan debt.
An MFA doesn't help much with finding a job after graduation.
Classes weren't as in-depth as I would have liked.
I didn't have a finished novel at the end of my degree.

So, is getting an MFA necessary if you want to be a serious writer? Absolutely not. Can it help? Of course. But so can lots of other things--taking a creative writing class at your local college. Getting together with a critique group. Going on a writing retreat (I've never been on one, but they sound cool, don't they?). In other words, getting an MFA isn't the right route for everyone. You don't need one in order to be published; all you have to do is write an amazing story. I mean, most of the authors I love don't have an MFA. Some don't have a BA either. When I saw Ray Bradbury on a panel at San Diego Comic-Con, he told us about how he educated himself in the local library when he was young because he couldn't afford to go to college. And I think that illustrates an important point about writing: things like talent and qualifications will only get you so far. When it comes right down to it, it's persistence and hard work that, in the end, will separate wannabe writers from real authors.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Jessie,

    I was wondering if you had thought of completing an MA in English. In your opinion, what are the differences between MA in English and an MFA in Creative Writing? How important is it to write every day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Javier,

    Oh, how I would love to do an MA in English! I love studying literature, and while I did study literature for my MFA, the main focus was on creating my own work. Thus my dissertation was a creative piece rather than an analysis of an author, work, or literary concept.

    In fact, I've been tempted in the past to apply to do a PhD in English with a concentration in gender studies (I don't have the money to do another MA, but some PhDs are fully funded). The problem is, I don't want a career as a college professor, which is what pretty much all that humanities PhDs prepare you to do. Also, it would take five or six years (or 4 in the UK), which would take time away from my fiction writing.

    As for writing every day, for aspiring authors it's essential! It doesn't have to be good, but you've got to put words down every day.

    ReplyDelete