Thursday, December 2, 2010

SNOW DAY!

When I was six, seven, eight years old, I dreamed of one day experiencing that wonder of winter: a snow day. Unfortunately I grew up in San Diego, California, where the winter comes wrapped in sunshine and blue skies. And while on the coldest days the grass might be covered in a thin coat of frost which melts by midmorning, snow is only a dream that six, seven, eight year old children have.

But today, wonder of days, the college where I work has been closed due to the heavy snow we've been having in southeast England. So, almost twenty years after I first dared to dream, my dream has come true: I finally have a snow day.

I am going to tramp through the (rather very deep) snow in my Wellington boots, and then I'm going to do some hardcore writing on my WIP, followed by some serious reading. I've picked up two more advanced copies of novels from the bookstore where I work, and I plan to finally finish Gayle Forman's If I Stay today (I had to stop reading it a month ago because I found it too disturbing). I've also just started Toni Morrison's Song of Solomon, and I'm still making my way ever so slowly through The White Woman on the Green Bicycle by Monique Roffey.

Any other lucky snow-dayers out there today? If so, what are your plans, and more importantly, what are you reading?

1 comment: