Wednesday, January 25, 2012

WIP Wednesday: Puzzling it out

So I'm in a pretty fun place with my writing right now. I'm two-thirds to three-quarters finished with the first draft of my second novel, Dyllan and Abigail. I've built up a lot of relationships between the different characters over five or six different plot lines, and now many of these plot lines are coming together, and the story has become a puzzle that needs solving. In other words, I've built up this whole world and placed this tangle of characters and events in it, and now I have to figure out how to sort everyone out in a way that satisfies the reader and keeps the integrity of the story intact. And all of those answers are coming out in the most unexpected ways—witch colonies, magical botany, sand demons, battles, and enchanted disguises to name a few.

Here is the gist of Dyllan and Abigail:

Abigail Gray thought her father's series of children's stories about Abernwyth, land of the Folk, was just that: stories. But on her thirteenth birthday, she discovers that not only is Abernwyth real, but she has magic in her blood, and her father is actually a legendary Folk hero.

Halfway around the world, scrawny Eleanor Griggs runs onto the Scottish moors, fleeing bullies, when she is captured by a strange-eyed man, and taken through a split between two worlds.

And in Abernwyth, in the small mountain village of New Alband, the beautiful and enigmatic Dyllan becomes an orphan for the second time.

The course of the next three years brings the three children crashing together, with world-altering and tragic consequences.

(Oh, and there's a binturong, too. Her name is Steg and she adores a slice of cake (or two).)

So that's where I am with my WIP so far. It's currently 67,229 words long, with about another 30-40,000 words to go. I try to put down at least a thousand words a day, but it's hard sometimes with my day job. I'm hoping to have this draft finished by spring break (the beginning of April).

photo_4996047931_b2a98bc8eb_t.jpg
Image credit: Linda via Creative Commons.
Dear Readers, where have your writing adventures been taking you this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment