Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The ninety-nine percent

*picks up blog*

*blows away dust*

Hello? Is everyone still here? I've been away for a while now, with November being crazy with NaNoWriMo and Thanksgiving and birthdays and new jobs and helping people move—did you guys do NaNo, by the way? I managed to hit 50K at 5:00pm on November 30th, just squeaking by with another "win," although my dragon novel somehow turned into a crazy time travel novel instead.

Anyway, with November being totally chaotic, I managed to fall way behind on my reading. My goal is to read 60 books this year, and last night I finished my 54th. I think I'm going to ease off writing for a little while to make sure I hit my reading goal by January 1st.

But I wanted to leave you with a quote that resonated with me, from one of the two books I did manage to read in November. This is from Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain (page 159). If I were a teacher, I would put this up on the wall of my classroom:
Persistence is not very glamorous. If genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration, then as a culture we tend to lionize the one percent. We love its flash and dazzle. But great power lies in the ninety-nine percent.
"It's not that I'm so smart," said Einstein, who was a consummate introvert. "It's that I stay with problems longer."

2 comments:

  1. Don't worry, your most loyal of blog followers is still here.

    I will say one thing about the struggle of introverts in my classroom - they do not like to ask for help. Even if they are STUCK on something and can't get past it without help they prefer to endlessly toil and struggle alone.

    Anyway, just a thought. We all - intro and extroverts alike - need to know when, how, and where to ask for help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really good point, Jeff. I was an extremely introverted child, and I almost never asked for help, even when I should have.

    ReplyDelete