Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Wooky Book

I'm pleased to announce that, after twenty-two months of under/unemployment (which, when feeling pessimistic, I thought of it as "Recession Purgatory," when optimistic, "funemployment!"), I've managed to land two promising, literature-related jobs. Three days a week I shall be known as Little Bonobo, Library Assistant, and for the other two I shall assume the identity of Little Bonobo, Bookseller [Extraordinaire]!

I'm sure my experiences in these institutions will provide plenty of book-related fodder for this blog, so, watch this space!

(For example, here is a rough transcription of a bookstore conversation from earlier this week:

ME: Can I help you find anything, ma'am?
CUSTOMER: Yes, I'm looking for the Wooky Book.
[Pause.]
ME: The Wooky Book?
[Image in my head: My Life with Han Solo: Chewbacca's tell-all memoir]
CUSTOMER: Yes, by Russell Brand.
ME: Oh, do you mean Booky Wook 2?
CUSTOMER: Yes, that's the one! ::smiles sheepishly::)

No comments:

Post a Comment