Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Global Reading Challenge 2011

Recently I came across this Global Reading Challenge, hosted by Dorte H (via Ari at Reading in Color). The idea is that you read a certain number of books from each continent (for Antarctica, you can substitute a genre such as historical fiction, sci fi, or fantasy), with each book from a different country or state. What an awesome idea! Since I've been meaning to expand my reading this year, I decided to sign up for the expert level and read three books from each continent.

I've already read one from the USA (Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison), so I want my other two North American books to be from Canada and Mexico. And I've read one from Europe--Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome (UK).

I've also reserved two African novels at the library--Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (Nigeria), and Nervous Conditions by Tsitsi Dangarembga (Zimbabwe).

I could really use some suggestions for the rest of the books, especially Asia and South America. Please feel free to make recommendations in the comments. Also let me know if you're going to sign up, and what books you are planning to read.

4 comments:

  1. For South America, definitely something by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Colombia)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For sure! I think I'll try One Hundred Years of Solitude again. I was really enjoying it a few years back, but then I lost it :-/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Off to Twitter and Facebook to publish a link to this post...

    Hope it helps with the recommendations :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for those posts, AMZ. I'm finding it surprisingly difficult to find lists of books from specific continents or countries online.

    ReplyDelete