Wednesday, January 12, 2011

WIP update: it's DONE!

Today, a full six weeks later than I had planned, the rough draft of Water Magic is complete! I don't know what happened, other than I kept realizing I had more things that needed to be resolved, so I kept adding new scenes which turned into new chapters. Still, the important thing is, it's done. Whew!

Here are some fun facts about the book:

Idea first dreamt up in: Autumn 2005
Started writing in: March 2009
Genre: Young adult fantasy
Contains: Magic, faeries, kidnapping, dragons, giant lizards, water spirits, moonbirds, orcas, demons, and a binturong.
Final word count: 100,685
Chapters: 53

Now comes the long wait. I'm putting the manuscript away for a month before starting revisions. The fun part? I get to work on something new! I've got lots of ideas clamoring for attention in my head, so it's just a matter of which one wins out--sci fi story? Children's book? Magical realism novel? Contemporary YA? Paranormal? A weird combination of all five?

I'll let you know.

In the meantime, anyone have any good revision tips? I'm going to need all the help I can get.

6 comments:

  1. My beautiful wife wanted me to tell you, Congratulations.

    My suggestion, let others read it too (I would be happy to do so). Other than that, don't put too much love into any one thing, make it work (as Tim Gunn would say). Oh, and active, not passive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the support Russells! You guys are awesome.(Good old Tim Gunn!)

    I will definitely be looking for beta readers after I finish revisions. I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I am a young aspiring writer, and am inspired by your work. I took part in NaNoWriMo, and was really excited.

    Editing suggestions...umm... like Mr. Russell said other people to edit it. I'd also be happy to read it.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Water Magic sounds very interesting by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that it has a binturong :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous, thanks for the support! I've never done NaNoWriMo before, but I think I might give it a try next year.

    Lisa, did you know that binturongs have many ancient and mysterious magical properties? (Okay so I made that up, but it might be true.) The binturong in my book is friends with a sorceress.

    ReplyDelete