Saturday, January 8, 2011

Winter reading

My Christmas loot:



Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (Books + magic!)
The Symposium by Plato (Who doesn't like Plato?)
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (It's been on the to-read list for years.)
Castle Waiting by Linda Medley (described as "feminist Chaucer," so of course I'm dying to read!)
Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein (Childhood favorite.)
Fruits Basket Ultimate Edition: Volume 2 by Natsuki Takaya (Fruits Basket just makes me happy.)
Delusions of Gender by Cordelia Fine (Gender differences? They're mostly not genetic.)
Le Morte Darthur by Thomas Malory (I love me some Middle English Arthurian legend!)
Being Wrong: Adventures in the Margin of Error by Kathryn Schulz (Given to me by my brother. I don't know what he was trying to tell me.)
The Longest Whale Song by Jacqueline Wilson (An amazing British children's author.)
The Norton Shakespeare by William Shakespeare, edited by Stephen Greenblatt (It's so beautiful! I'm afraid to open it lest I get sucked in.)
Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren, illustrated by Lauren Child (I've never read it, but was obssessed with the film version when I was little.)

I've already finished Fruits Basket and Inkheart, both of which I loved, the former for its optimism and the latter for its wonderful allusions and the way it describes reading and stories. I really, really want to dive into the rest of my Christmas books, but I've got a few library books I need to finish first.

Anyone else get any good reads for Christmas/Festivus? Or, what books do you wish you'd gotten?

7 comments:

  1. Little Women is on my list for this year too. I read it when I was in 5th grade but I'm pretty sure I didn't really get a lot of it back then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Want to read it together? I have lots of books I need to reread that I read first as a kid. Like TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, MACBETH and some others. The most annoying are books I've read half of, but never actually finished (Yes, I'm looking at you, MOBY DICK).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really envy your stack of books, esp. Ol' Bill's Norton edition :-)

    I'm barreling down the pre-publication promotion alley of my WIP, hoping for a Strike in April--precious little time to read...

    Oh! I'm also your Twitter friend--Sena Quaren. She's a character in my WIP and handles Tweets and FB for me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the cafe! Have some coffee. It's organic. And Fairtrade.

    The Norton edition is my favorite Shakespeare. I had a copy in college but I had to leave it in England after my year abroad, and ever since then I've wanted another copy. Now my dream has come true.

    Also, lately I've noticed a few people tweeting as characters from their books. It's an interesting approach.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We should totally read it together. Maybe after I finish Anna Karenina. I'm not like you, I can't read more than one or two books at a time :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Has any one read I Capture the Castle? I really enjoyed this novel. Actually, I have a great interest in British novels and writers. To be frank, I excelled in British Literature versus American Literature.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa, it's settled, then. Little Women book club starts in March, woo!

    Javier, no I haven't read I Capture the Castle. I'm adding it to my TBR list now. I enjoyed British Lit too, though I probably loved American Lit equally.

    ReplyDelete